Friday, December 27, 2013

In-Match Adjustments

Sporting events are basically like any strategy game. You make strategic adjustments based on what you expect your opponent will do and your opponent is doing the same.

If you are significantly superior to your opponent, you will likely prevail regardless of your in-game adjustments. But the gratification is enhanced when you are similar in skill to or slightly below skill to your opponent. In these situations, the outcome tends to tilt to the combatant that makes the best adjustments.

Last night I played three doubles matches with three different partners. All three matches were very competitive with high quality tennis players. In each match, my team fell behind and doubts would creep into my mind. However, in all three matches, I figured out necessary adjustments to make. In all three matches, I experienced the feeling that I was confident that my team would catch up and eventually win the match, if only I or we executed the adjustments. As the evening concluded, my doubles teams pulled out tough come from behind wins in each match. Very satisfying. Hard to duplicate the feeling outside of athletic competition.


No comments: